To View the Ch. 7-9 vocabulary click here:
Ch. 7-9 Vocabulary
Ch. 10-14 Vocabulary
a. Sudden, violent, and temporary effort, emotion or sensation.
b. an involuntary and abnormal muscular contraction
A. different from the normal or usual: special
B. characteristic of only one person, group, or thing: distinctive
3. Squalor- sordid dirtiness
4. shard- A piece of broken pottery, especially one found in an archaeological dig; a potsherd.
5. pruning- to cut off or cut back parts
6. Taut- having no slack; tightly drawn
7. barracks- A group of large houses usually used to house armies.
8. Bereave- to deprive and make desolate, esp. by death.
9. Deprived- Lacking something needed or expected
10. Cavernous- being, resembling, or suggestive of a cavern
11. repatriate- To bring or send back a person to his or her home country or land of citizenship.
12. incense- The perfume or smoke arising from such a substance when burned.
13. Depressed- sadness or other related emotions like hopelessness and sadness
14. shawl- a simple piece of clothing worn over the shoulders
15. Tule- a brush-like plants that grows in swampland in the southwestern United States.
16. Penetrating- able to penetrate or pierce
17. twinge- to feel a sudden, sharp pain or pang.
18. humanity- The human race
19. glycerin- a colorless, odorless, syrupy, sweet liquid
20. suppleness- the property of being pliant and flexible
21. Loamy- consisting of or having the character of loam; "richly loamy soil"
22. migrant- a person or animal that migrates.
23. Riveted- Held in one place.
24. Smudge pot- An oil container with oil at the bottom that is used in fruit orchards to keep away frost.
25. deportation- the lawful expulsion of an undesired alien or other person from a state.
26. despondent- feeling or showing profound hopelessness, dejection, discouragement, or gloom.